This a great opportunity for international students to apply to Japan. The government of Japan has announced a scholarship Program for research students to study in Japan. International students who wanted to study in Japan as graduate research students must apply for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology MEXT scholarship Program. Candidates who will be going to study in the graduate program as research students can avail of this MEXT opportunity in Japan.
Candidates who are going to arrive in Japan in April 2024 and September 2024 for the MEXT scholarships must meet the scholarship requirements by April 2023 and July 2023 respectively. MEXT scholarships are open now till May for the April 2024 intake or arrival in Japan.
Candidates who are enrolled in a graduate program, professional graduate program, doctorate program, or in doing research as graduate student at the graduate level from graduate school can apply for the MEXT scholarship in Japan. Candidates who are getting preparatory education in the Japanese language and in any other subject before proper placement in the graduate school or university are also considered eligible for the MEXT scholarship for the academic year 2024-2025. Candidates must read the complete article in the opportunities finder for a better understanding of the MEXT scholarship in Japan. You may also find interesting the World Bank Fellowship program
Table of Contents
|Program||Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)|
|Institute||Multiple Universities of Japan|
|Eligible Nationalities||Multiple countries|
|No of Seats||Multiple|
|Age||born on or after 1989|
List of Fields:
- Almost all fields of study or research are eligible for the MEXT scholarship program 2024-2025, anyhow for a better understanding candidates must reach out to the embassies of Japan in their home country. Candidates must be able to study research at the graduate level in different universities in Japan with their field of study.
- Subjects that required practical training at training institutes, industries, or companies are not included in the eligible field of studies
- Medical, clinical, or dentistry studies that required practical training in their respective fields are not eligible until they receive the relevant license from the Ministry of Health in Japan.
Research students will be able to get the following financial benefits from MEXT Japan:
- Nonregular students receiving preparatory education will receive 143,000 Yen per month
- Regular students enrolled in Masters’s or professional degree courses will receive 144,000 yen per month
- Candidates enrolled in the doctoral program will receive 145,000 yen per month as a stipend
- A monthly stipend of 2000 to 3000 yen will be added for the grantees or candidates conducting research in the respective fields.
- All the fees regarding universities, entrance, tuition, etc will be covered by the MEXT
- Economy tickets will be provided to the grantees from one country to the host country
- Transportation expenses will be covered by the MEXT in Japan
Candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria for the selection for the MEXT scholarship in Japan:
Nationality: Candidates must belong to a country that has strong relations with Japan. A list of Japanese embassies in the world is given on the website
Qualifications: Candidates must have 16 years of education from recognized institutes in their home country other than Japan for the first phase Masters’s scholarship program
Bachelor’s degree: Candidates who have done 3 years of education from the University will be considered as a graduate student
Japanese graduate school: Candidates who have already enrolled in a master’s/ doctoral degree program at the Japanese institute for the first Phase scholarship program are also considered as eligible.
Doctoral degree (Second Phase): Candidates who have been awarded an overseas degree equivalent to a master’s program or professional degree.
Research Program: Candidates who have graduated from the universities and are involved in research study.
Doctoral course in Pharmaceutical fields: 18 years of education in relevant doctoral courses other than Japan
Doctoral course in Pharmaceutical fields: 5 years of education from institutes other than Japan
Doctoral course in Pharmaceutical fields: 16 years of education and have been involved in the research field at universities and research centers
Already enrolled: Candidates who are already enrolled in the Pharmaceutical institutes of Japan are eligible for the second Phase scholarship at MEXT.
Age: Candidates must be born on or after April 2, 1989, are eligible for the MEXT scholarship program.
Health: Candidates must be medically fit
Candidates are advised to apply for a student VISA for the MEXT scholarships. If overseas candidates reside in Japan and have a residency Visa then they should have to convert their VISA to a student visa.
The Duration for the MEXT scholarship in Japan for nonregular students is 2 years from March 2024 to April 2026, while for regular students no specific deadline is informed when the course in their respective field will be finished as research students then they can terminate their MEXT scholarships.
Extension of the scholarship will be awarded to the bright students who have done extraordinaire in academics.
The deadlines for the MEXT scholarship vary from country to country. Make sure to confirm the deadline for the website of the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of your nationality or in some other way.
The following documents are required for the MEXT scholarship Program:
- Application form
- research Pan
- Reference letter
- academic Transcripts
- Certification of Graduation
- Recommendation Letter
- Abstract Thesis
- Language Proficiency
How to Apply:
- Candidates are advised to apply for the MEXT scholarship program
- read the eligibility criteria for the MEXT scholarship and see the complete details
- Candidates need to visit their respective country’s embassy and apply through it.
- Prepare your application documents mentioned above
- Submit your application documents to the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.
- If the candidate’s application is successful, then they will be invited for an interview.
- After the successful interview, the scholarship winners will be announced by MEXT.
- If candidates are selected, they will be notified of the scholarship benefits and the processes to receive them.
Keep in mind that the application process, deadlines, eligibility criteria, and requirements may vary by country, so it’s important to check with the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country for specific information.