Each year Katholieke Universiteit Leuven KU Leuven selects exceptional scholars from institutions in the Global South as scholarship candidates to pursue PhD programs from the leading institute of Belgium. This year also Belgium University KU Leuven has announced Global Minds Scholarships for the PhD scholars. The KU Leuven Global Minds scholarships are managed by the University’s Faculty Council for Global Development for international students. the Global Minds Scholarship Program aims to allow international students to research while doing 4 four-year Ph.D. programs, it is a sandwich program in which 50% of the study or research finance will be covered by the KU Leuven while the other 50% of research will be financed by the scholar’s home institution. however, additionally, KU Leuven offers a supervision allowance to the local co-promotor at the home institution and the promotor at KU Leuven.
With the Global Minds program, the university can support a group of researchers from the Global South to obtain a PhD degree from KU Leuven. The Global Minds PhD students spend a part of their time in Leuven, and the other part at their home institutions. Their research topics vary widely, but what they have in common is a dedication to societally relevant themes, in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
KU Leuven is situated about twenty kilometers from Brussels, the capital of both Belgium and Europe. It is the oldest university of the Low Countries. As such, it has a long-standing tradition of hospitality towards students and scholars from abroad. Currently, more than 11,000 international students (about 18% of the total number of students at KU Leuven) have found their home away from home in Leuven. You can also study at Zhejiang University in China
Table of Contents
|Faculty Council for Global Development
|Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
|Global Minds Scholarship Program
Candidates need to meet the following criteria for the eligiblity of KU Leuven GM Scholarship Program: Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarships for international students
- Candidates must be from the list of eligible countries
- Candidates who hold EU nationality or long-term residency in EU countries are not eligible
- Candidates’ last master’s degree must not be older than 10 years, they got their master’s degree in 2014.
- Degrees obtained in the second division are only eligible below second division are not eligible for GM Scholarships
- The research project must be of excellent academic quality with a special focus on the development relevance of the proposal.
- The research project must have a clear time frame indicating how the research periods at KU Leuven and the home institution will alternate (a maximum period of 12 months at the home institution should alternate with a maximum period of 12 months at KU Leuven).
- Candidates must have to obtained affiliation with any university in their home countries otherwise scholarship grants will not be provided
- Candidates who already enrolled at KU Leuven and already getting scholarships are not eligible
- The candidate must demonstrate a development-oriented motivation.
- Candidates must be supported by the KU Leuven Supervisor
- Candidates must be supported by a local supervisor in their home country
- Candidates must demonstrate at least two excellent recommendation letters from their referees
- Candidates must obtain approval to enroll at KU Leuven University first
List of Eligible Countries:
The following is the list of eligible countries for the KU Leuven Scholarship Program:
Do you want to Study in Thailand?
- D.R. Congo
- South Africa
- Palestinian Territories
- Vietnam Latin
There are following benefits will be provided to the PhD scholars under KU Leuven GM Scholarships:
- Tuition fee will be waived off
- 4 return tickets economy class
- 2400 euros for the scholars as a monthly stipend
- Health, Medical, and Accidental insurance will be covered
- Social security coverage
- A supervision allowance of € 310/month will be provided
The application deadline for the KU Leuven Global Minds Scholarships Program is February 22, 2024, at 05.00 PM GMT.
How to Apply:
Candidates need to apply for KU Leuven GM Scholarships in two steps:
- The first candidates need to obtain admission at KU Leuven in doctoral or Predoctoral Programs
- After getting admission candidates can apply for the scholarships
- For admissions: read carefully admissions or application instructions apply accordingly
- Make sure to obtain admission early. We strongly suggest you obtain admission 2.5 months ahead of the deadline for the PhD scholarship call (February 22, 2024)
- Once a candidate has received admission to a doctoral or predoctoral program, his or her supervisor can apply for a KU Leuven Global Minds Doctoral Scholarship.
Main Application Documents:
The following documents are much needed for the Global Minds scholarship Program:
You can also contact us via our social Handles:
- Candidates’ CV
- Candidates’ Bibliography
- Local Co-Supervisor’s CV
- KU Leuven Supervisorrs’ CV
- Research Proposals
- Motivation Letter
- Reference Letters
- Proof of affiliation at Home country’s university